Updated for Patch 7.24 as we discover new meta heroes for the Outlanders update. Knowing what overpowered (OP) and broken Dota 2 heroes are the best to use in the current patch or meta is useful when it comes to ranking. Let’s see the updated list of winning heroes that could help increase your chance of winning.
Editor’s Note: Use the Table of Contents for easy navigation throughout the guide.
Dota 2 Heroes To Use For This Meta
Winning in Ranked matches is very hard if you don’t know which hero to use. In every match, make sure that you pick the right hero that will be useful to the team. The list could help you win this current meta are complex. Make sure you know all of these heroes as they are essential in helping your team out. The list includes all-time best and the ones that you should choose for the new meta.
Although Dota 2 is about a more complex hero system, there are heroes that are too broken that you can easily win against many players in consecutive matches for an easy rank up.
Interested in other Dota 2 guides?
- MMR Dota 2 Calculation For Ranking Calibration
- Dota 2 Ranks and MMR Ranking Leaderboard
- Dota 2 Patch 7.23 Huge Changes To Look Out For
- Dota 2 Frostivus 2019 Guide
All-Time Best Heroes
The selection for the best all-time heroes in Dota 2 is based on many factors. Some heroes are consistent when it comes to being buffed while some are still the best there is despite being nerfed in previous patches. The reason for this is their usefulness in every game scenario.
Best Heroes For Every Rank Tier
There are heroes that are the best on each ranking medal tier. The higher the rank, the complicated a hero can be. The heroes on the list can be on Core and Support roles. No matter if you are a beginner or an immortal ranked player, the list of heroes below will definitely help you get an advantage over others in the early and late stages of the matches.
Top Safe Lane Heroes
Safe Lane heroes are considered Position 1 in the game as they carry everyone in the final stages of every match.
- Wraith King
- Chaos Knight
- Phantom Assassin
- Drow Ranger
Top Mid Lane Heroes
Reliable mid lane heroes, Position 2, are important to win the game.
- Void Spirit
- Clinkz: The reason why Clinkz can be a good mid hero is that his Death pact skill is now a basic ability and there are lots of Neutrals near the mid lane now in patch 7.23 as the map gets a rework
- Skywrath Mage
- Templar Assassin
- Ember Spirit
- Storm Spirit
Top Offlane Heroes
Position 3 Offlane heroes that need to have the level advantage in order to be initiators and be able to help all lanes keep up or move forward.
- Naga Siren
- Sand King
- Naga Siren
- Dark Seer
Top Support Heroes
Support Position 4 and 5 heroes in just one sitting.
- Crystal Maiden
- Shadow Shaman
- Vengeful Spirit
- Ogre Magi
- Ancient Apparition
- Winter Wyvern
- Treant Protector
Now that we are done with Top Heroes for all tier, we go down to the Top overpowered or Broken heroes in Dota 2 that you can spam in order to rank up easily.
Top Meta Heroes For Dota 2 Patch 7.24
Top Meta Heroes for patch 7.24 are considered to be a painful Laning and late-game opponents. They are either heroes that are hard to kill, have too much crowd control, or very high damage that can potentially kill 5 players in a matter of seconds.
Some of the heroes in the list have a slight nerf in the recent patch but in reality, did not affect the quality of the hero overall.
Here are the OP and Broken heroes in Dota 2 that you should use for the meta:
- Magnus on Aghanim’s Scepter reduces the cooldown of Skewer to 4 seconds making this hero a train treck when it comes to breaking opponent positioning attempts.
- Void Spirit: The low cooldown Nukes this new hero has is something that you should look upon. Very broken if used on mid lanes like how you use Ember Spirit.
- Kunkka‘s new Scepter Torrent update will be proven insane in pubs and future tournaments to come as these random torrents spawning near him is a way to disrupt a 5-man gank by opponents.
- Enchantress: Impetus is now a first skill basic ability. I’m sure that’s enough to convince you of how good this hero is now on an early stage. Though she is now a bit squishy, this can be managed with good spacing skills.
- Dark Seer on the latest patch includes an increased AoE in a vacuum, which is seen as a huge buff. Dark Seer can be played as both off lane and support hero and he will be seen as one of the best heroes this meta.
- Razor: Due to a rework where Razor can attack heroes being linked is something that makes a comeback for Razor into the pub scene.
- Morphling: The meta is currently Morphling’s favorite as he is now being picked on pubs and pro scene once Aghanim’s Scepter is being prioritized. Morphling with Earthshaker is a terror in pub games as both can stun-lock on multiple clashes. With Earthshaker’s skills being morphed, this hero can escape any impending death since Morphling will have the Agh’s Enchant Totem jumping effect right away. (Note, he is nerfed for Patch 7.23 wherein his health is shared on both forms. No more escaping clashes by switching to another form in order to get a health advantage. However, not much changes to Morphling’s Ultimate Ability which still makes Earthshaker combination a good choice)
- Ogre: An aggressive support (On the latest patch 7.23, he gets a base strength reduction, making him less tanky). The annoying multicast double-headed hero that is very hard to kill both early and late game.
- Night Stalker: Despite the nerf, Night Stalker is still a strong off lane her. Oh, yes, if this hero gets a level advantage in the early phase, expect all lanes to be massacred by Night Stalker once night time comes, paired with a map hack ultimate that can play without no boundaries. On the latest 7.23 patch, Scepter no longer grants lower cooldown Void Cast, but this hero can still be annoying in the night time.
- Windranger: Windranger is a flexible mid lane hero. I’ve seen many pro players spam Windranger as she is almost hard to kill with invisible and miss Windrun. Once you get Aghanim’s Scepter, Monkey King Bar and Maelstrom right away, enemies will cry and will probably report you.
- Keeper of the Light: KOTL’s ultimate is like a mini Blackhole on low cooldown. KOTL is amazing support that can prevent massive creep wave push and has an ability that lets your carry misses (70% miss chance) their hits if they don’t BKB fast.
- Skywrath Mage: Even if only being used as a support, Skywrath Mage can deal with a massive burst of spammable magic damage. The downside is that Skywrath is squishy, but if done right, he can almost kill anyone in a single clash with the right positioning and items. Skywrath Mage is a flexible hero you can pick for Off Lane, Mid Lane, or as a Support.
- Dark Willow: A very annoying little tooth fairy, Dark Willow is the reincarnation of an evil fairy legend. For being a support hero, her abilities include lots of high damage and stun that can prevent almost any successful ganks by opponents. Dark Willow can kill or stop enemy support heroes right away.
- Venomancer: You can use Venomancer as support or off lane hero. But the current meta suggests that Venomancer works best as Off Lane. Once it gets a higher level it deserves paired with Veil of Discord, Venomancer can easily kill 5 heroes in one setting if his ultimate and first skill are done right. This hero can also stop the opponent’s blink heroes like ES and Tidehunter. Plague Ward is as annoying with slow effects and is very tough to kill by supports. It can also be used as a dummy Observer ward. Venomancer’s Poison Sting got buffed on Patch 7.23 which also reduces enemy health regeneration by 30%.
- Dazzle: Dazzle can be a pain once it gets a higher level than its opposing lane heroes. Being tough with burst heal and great right-click damage, Dazzle can win a tri-lane setup if used as an Off Lane Hero. Note that it is advisable that Dazzle must be a Support since he tends to get weaker as the game gets longer.
- Chaos Knight: Many players hate Chaos Knight since it is almost very hard to escape this hero with tough illusions and massive crit damage coming your way. If not stopped right away, CK can easily massacre your supports, giving an enemy time a very high disadvantage. On patch 7.23, Chaos Knight’s illusions are now considered Strong Illusions which are harder to kill with Magic damage.
- Pangolier: Pangolier is an annoying little thing. Its crowd-control ability is useful when it comes to disrupting organized ganks by enemy players. Pangolier also deals with a lot of damage that can chase off running heroes which will render enemy setup scattered on every clash.
- Timbersaw: This hero is hard to deal with at the starting phase if you fail to counterpick it. Timbersaw is a tanky off lane hero that will be a pain to a safe lane hero if unmatched. Once he gets a level advantage, the saw nukes can almost kill any support hero in a single combo. On patch 7.23, Timbersaw gets an agility gain increase.
- Grimstroke: This hero is very annoying early to the late stage of the game. Paired with heroes that have point-click abilities are good choices for his ultimate.